Monday, January 16, 2006

Meeting Elijah

Like every other frum kid, I grew up hearing many stories about how Elijah the Prophet periodically comes down from Heaven to perform some important heavenly task, usually while in disguise as a poor beggar. It's not unlike all the magical stories of elves that make their brief appearances every so often to also do some mysterious job (like hiding socks).

Well, yesterday, I was in SOHO, making my way to the Apple Store to buy myself an iPod and I decided to make a quick detour at Starbucks. As I was waiting at the pick-up counter, I glanced around the store a bit checking out the customers, when I noticed that standing right behind me was someone who looked just like Elijah. He also looked a lot like a certain character from Lord Of The Rings. I turned to a fellow standing near me, to confirm if the mystery prophet was who I thought he was, and he nodded in agreement. It was him! Frodo Baggins! AKA Elijah Wood! Holding some wierd Santa lawn ornament (I think it was just like the the one from the french film Amelie). And the most amazing thing was what he was wearing on his head: He had on a classic yeshivish black hat. It was a bit out of date, with a small brim, and probably not a Borsalino, but if I recall correctly, I think my 3rd grade rebbe wore something just like it. He was also talking to an attractive Asian woman, which I do not recall my 3rd grade rebbe doing very often. I was really dying to go over to him and say something, but I so didn't want to be one of those annoying fans who harass actors all the time. Also, unfortunately, I couldn't recall his name at the time, so it would have been a bit awkward. Anyway, I'm not such a LOTR fan anyway, so what would I have said?

But doesn't New York rock?

(This useless (but 100% true) post was specially composed for all my readers that insist on me writing more frequently. I'll try to keep you happy, but I'll have to resort to filler every so often.)

7 comments:

Pragmatician said...

Dying to say something? What would you have gained besides an anecdote? I never understood the need to approach famous people and collect signatures, unless it's to ask for money.

The Hedyot said...

I don't understand it either, but I also don't deny it.

Chana said...

New York does rock! And I liked (read loved) Elijah Wood's portrayal of Frodo, but I also saw his (rather angry) response- 'I am not just a damn Hobbit.' So I probably wouldn't have gone up to him, either.

But that is exciting! ;)

Foilwoman said...

Filler is fine. Frodo, feh. But the younger gals think he's dreamy. Oh, and filler is more than fine if you're providing it due to me whinging about post frequency. Lets see, things to be grateful for: (1) Guys who can take a hint and respond appropriately . . . . so go you.

Anonymous said...

glad you're enjoying NY! i know what you mean, though...I once saw Alan Rickman at the passport control at Ben Gurion (believe it or not) and couldn't think what I'd say to him if I went over. "Hi, you were a fabulous Sherriff of Nottingham"? So I didn't say anything...

Anonymous said...

As another blogger would have said ,"This is michazek my emunah"

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Wow, that's pretty cool.

I have a friend who once had one of those Eliyahu stories happen to them. Now if i could only remember the story, or the friend...