- Starting tonight, Union Square in NYC will be hosting a sukka exhibit for two days, after which it will be on display at The Center for Architecture. - NY Times, NY Magazine
- Christopher Hitches waxes philosophical about anti-Semitism. - The Atlantic
- A holocaust detective story about a lampshade found in the ruins of Katrina and the search to determine if it was made from the skin of a concentration camp victim. - NY Magazine
- The old standby of identifying a Jewish home by the mezuza affixed to the front door may no longer hold true. - NY Times
- The reality show "America's Next Top Model" has a Modern Orthodox contestant, and she's supposedly let down the faithful! - Tablet
- The New York Times takes an interest in a new Conservative machzor. - NY Times
- One shul's collection of those embarrassing satin yarmulkas that were given out at weddings and bar-mitzvahs is testament to a forgotten era. - NY Times
- On why the musical character of the Jewish liturgy seems resistant to contemporary innovations. (Duh. Hasn't the New York Times heard of "chadash assur min hatorah"?) - NY Times
- A Maine lobsterman reflects on the meaning of Yom Kippur and its relationship to his work. (I wonder if that's as bad as being a Jewish pig farmer.) - NY Times
Photo Credit: Flickr user ..Catherine..
If you appreciate this blog, please support it by checking out some of the sponsors, or if your freshly atoned spirit is in a more benevolent mood, feel free to get me a holiday gift from my wish list.